Appraisals are a powerful way of developing people and maximising their potential – as such, they are an important part of effective management. Done well appraisals can build confidence, motivation and commitment.
If you are a manager, one of your primary objectives is to get the best performance that you can out of your staff. To do that, you will need to know how to manage people on a day to day basis using the policies and procedures of your organisation. You will also have to manage their performance through a process of individual review and planning, in other words, through appraisal and performance review.
Performance appraisal has three basic functions:
- to provide adequate feedback to each person on his or her performance
- to serve as a basis for modifying or changing behaviour toward more effective working habits
- to provide data to managers with which they may judge future job assignments
Are You Competent in Appraisal Skills?
There are a number of key skills that you need to master in order to be a competent appraiser. These include:
- knowing the difference between control, maintenance and development appraisals
- knowing how each of your staff is performing
- knowing your staff’s individual strengths and weaknesses
- being able to give staff informal feedback on their performance
- knowing how to work within your organisation’s appraisal scheme
- knowing how to manage different levels of performance
- knowing how to prepare for, run, and follow up on an appraisal interview.
BC Training’s Appraisal Skills course will ensure that delegates fully understand their responsibilities in the performance management cycle and how to structure and conduct appraisals to maximise the value of the meeting.
Delegates will understand how to adapt appraisals to suit different types of employees, including under-performers, star performers, high achievers and all other types of team members.
Improve the performance of your team by enrolling your key management staff on our half day Appraisal Skills course.
For more information contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: + 350 20065461