You may have noticed a new feature on Facebook recently called Rooms which is displayed at the top of your Facebook News Feed.
As more of us are using services such as Skype, Zoom, Microsoft Teams and Google Meet, Facebook’s Messenger Rooms is a new group video chat feature that they have brought out to compete with the others.
So just how does Rooms work? Much in the same way as the other services, you can create a group video chat in a ‘room’ and invite up to 50 people to join in, even if they don’t have a Facebook account, and unlike some of the other services, there are no time limits on calls. You will be able to start a room from Messenger, Facebook, Instagram Direct, WhatsApp, or Portal.
When you create a room on Facebook, you control who sees your room in News Feed by choosing who to invite.
- Friends: All your friends can see and join your room on Facebook.
- Specific People: You choose who to invite and whether to allow invite link sharing. When you turn on invite link sharing you can invite more people, including people who aren’t your friends, or who don’t have Facebook or Messenger.
- You can also remove participants.
Much like Zoom, you can change your background to a virtual one using use Facebook’s augmented reality filters. Facebook is including 360-degree views of exotic locations for backgrounds, and it’s working on beauty filters as well as filters designed to brighten a dark room.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced these features in a live stream last month. He said more than 700 million people are making calls on Messenger and WhatsApp every day. Rooms will help to connect people in smaller groups.
How to create a Room
- Open the Messenger mobile app
- Tap Create a Room
- Select the people who you want to join
- You can also share the room in your News Feed, Groups, and Events
- To share a Room with people who don’t have Facebook, you can share a link with them
- You can join a room from your phone or computer
You can also create a room for your group or event. Rooms created for a group or event may have different settings and room creator controls.
To create an event for a group you are in:
- From News Feed click Groups in the left menu and select your group.
- Click Events below your groups cover photo.
- Click Create Event in the top right.
- Fill in the details for your event and click Create.
Happy video chatting!